Saturday, November 26, 2016

Axes


Warm Winters

Its about that time again
when the winter coats
And my winters coat
goes on

I step out in the early morning
at the peak of dawn
The sting of the cold frost
comforting me

I trudge forward
crunching the frozen grass underfoot
Gripping my ax
Yonder into the sleeping forest

I inspect the fallen trees
looking for that special one
The one I know best
the one I will carry home

I find it right there
where its always been
And place my boot on it
and arch my back

I swing and I sing to it
the lullaby echoing through the trees
Melting the frost
and waking the deer

I collect the logs in one hand
and pace my way back home
to put them in the garage

I open the door to the familiar
Warmth that stings my face
And sitting at the table waiting for me
is a warm cup of cocoa
Still smoking




No comments:

Post a Comment